In the Nashville chatroom, we have a computer bot named Timmy that is creepily good at responding to us. We’ll post and he’ll talk to us. I actually didn’t know he wasn’t a real human for the first few days in the chatroom. The other people had to tell me.
With Timmy, you can ask him for a challenge for your novel and he’ll give you one. He also just says weird things at times and has come up with this whole raptors running around our chatrooms thing.
So, if you’ve hit a wall, are looking for some inspiration, or just want to throw in something wacky, here’s a few ideas from Timmy.
1. Add a musical number into your next scene.
2. Pull an electronic device out of the back of the fridge.
3. Have the main character get into an argument with herself.
4. Throw somebody out of the window and have them land on a ton of pillows.
5. Have someone ride a raptor.
6. Kill a character using an eraser.
7. Reference your favorite TV show.
8. Write in an in-joke between you and friends or family.
9. Have a “confidence cake” at a party. I have no idea what a confidence cake is, that’s up to you to decide.
10. Make someone have a hallucination they think is real.
11. Get a character drunk.
12. Have a character switch languages in the middle of a sentence.
13. Have someone dance in a graveyard.
14. Change a character’s eye color (on purpose, not just because you forgot what it was).
15. Give somebody a sword on a string.
16. Have someone dance the Electric Slide but make them so bad they look more like they’re doing the Electrocuted Slide.
17. Have characters play on a Star Trek Foosball table.
18. Include a bell choir as a weapon.
19. Have the characters encounter trees that look like something out of Dr. Seuss.
20. Use the letter q as many times as possible in your next scene.
Alright, that’s it for the weirdness. Happy nanoing 😉